Fair Trade means an equitable and fair partnership between Aloha Bay and our partners and producers in Asia, Pakistan, Brazil, Malaysia, Colombia and the USA.
Fair Trade Criteria
- Fair wages within the context of the local economy
- Offering employees opportunities for advancement
- Engaging in environmentally sustainable practices
- Being nationally and internationally accountable for labor practices
- Building long-term trade relationships
- Safe working conditions, raising local safety standards
- Providing economical and technical assistance to producers
- Providing health benefits and paid vacation leave
- Work weeks of 40 hours or less, no workers under age of 18
Why Fair Trade?
Our consumer spending choices affect people’s lives around the world. In today’s world economy, small-scale producers have very little bargaining power and are often forced to accept miserable working and living conditions. Fair Trade helps farmers, crafts people, and other workers to earn a decent income while maintaining their traditional lifestyles with dignity and hope for their future.